Implantable device for chronic hydrogen therapy against Parkinson's disease
- Neuroprotective treatment
- Low invasiveness
- Chronic treatment
- Parkinson's disease
- Hydrogen therapy
- Implantable device
- 1 patent
Partnerships & Rewards
- Région Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes
- 2023 French Deeptech Innovation Competition Winner
- GRENOBLE INP
- Incorporated startups
Ten million people worldwide have Parkinson's disease. This number will increase by 56% by 2030. On the one hand, the symptoms of Parkinson's disease can be treated, but on the other hand, there is no therapy to slow down the neuronal degeneration associated with the disease.
The ELEMENT develops an implantable device named HOPE "Hydrogen Operating Parkinson Elimination". HOPE is able to provide chronic hydrogen therapy. Hydrogen is a strong and selective antioxidant. It can slow down neuronal degeneration.
- A chronic treatment: no patient involvement for five years
- A stable dose of hydrogen over several years
- Minimally invasive: outpatient surgery for device implantation
- Reduction of healthcare costs
State of progress
A first version of the HOPE device has been developed and a conclusive preclinical study on a parkinsonian rat model has been performed. The neuro-protective effect of hydrogen has been validated.
The active implantable medical device developed by the future startup THE ELEMENT targets applications in the field of neurodegenerative diseases.