An ultra-sensitive thermal radiation detector
- Universal Broadband Detector
- Direct thermal measurement of laser power
- Low power (P < 1 microW)
- No calibration required
- Thermal detector
- High sensitivity
- Laser power
- Infra-red radiation
- 1 patent
- Néel Institute
- GRENOBLE INP
In various fields of optics, there is a need for universal thermal detectors with very high sensitivity. For example, there is no broadband thermal detector that can measure laser power below microwatt.
The coupling of a thin kapton membrane with thin film semiconductor materials, with a very high factor of merit (ZT ~ 1) has made it possible to obtain, thanks to microfabrication technologies, a unique device that can detect radiation of only a few nanowatts. Thus, il can generate electrical powers of up to 100 microwatts with an efficiency of 5%.
- High sensitivity laser power detection (1nW < P < 100mW) with a flat spectrum from visible to far infrared (unique calibration for all types of lasers).
- Possibility of detecting energy pulses of only a few nanojoules without cooling of the thermal and electronic environment.
- Ultimate detection of infra-red radiation with the possibility of thermoelectric generation (from 10 to 100 µW of useful power available per module).
State of progress
- Laboratory proof of concept, TRL 3 (protected by a patent)
- Versatility and low production cost
- Prototype in significant environment in Summer 2022
- Fine and precise measurement of laser power
- Precise beam position detection
- Infra-red radiation detector
- Microgenerator (100 mV; 1mA)
In the magazine
1, 2 and 3 startups for Nora Dempsey, National Medal of Innovation 2021
Nora Dempsey is one of the four winners of National Medal for Innovation 2021 awarded by CNRS. Nora Dempsey, born in Ireland, has gained an international recognition for her research in Grenoble on...Read the article
Amiral Technologies, la startup IA grenobloise spécialisée dans les solutions de maintenance prédictive, intègre Station F
An ambitious promise: to invent a zero-defect and zero-downtime future for industry. Amiral Technologies, a startup co-founded and boosted by Linksium, based on the technological prowess of the Gre...Read the article